Thursday, April 3, 2008

Age of Gods

Reading a mythological story at bedtime yesterday my daughter provided me a query at night, 'What's the age of each God and who is the youngest God' ? I was for a moment speechless. Well the thought never occured to me. I knew for sure that we have certain days when birthdays of Gods are celebrated, but I for sure did not know the age of any God. I answered telling that we human beings started celebrating God's birthdays on certain days and those days are celebrated as festivals.

Her reaction was mixed. She said that she was sad for Gods could never celebrate their birthdays during their lifetime and that they were so unlucky. But she felt very happy for herself. She realized that she is more lucky than the Gods above as she can celebrate her birthday. She also has the freedom to choose her birthday cake, decide the venue of her birthday, decide return gifts etc and she knows her correct age too.

She gave me a goodnight hug and told " Mom, I am so lucky I am not a God and I still have so many birthdays to celebrate' and drifted off to sleep maybe imagining how she would celebrate her remaining birthdays. Next day she woke up and was in a mad rush to get ready to school. I was surprised to see her getting ready before time. When asked she replied that she wants to share with her friends that how happy they all are to have been born as simple people and not as Gods.

How I wished, then listening to her innocent response, does every person born in this universe also feel the same happiness as my daughter in being born just as a normal human being.........

2 comments:

Kumar said...

Innovatively written.
Pure innocence of children.

Children find everything in nothing.
Grown ups find nothing in everything.

A child can ask questions
Which no grown up can answer.

As children our vision is limitless,
Age compartmentalises us.

As for age,
God’s greatest gift to us is
Mortality.

After the darkness of the night,
Childhood opens a new dawn.
A bright start to a new day,
A new life.
Another opportunity to redeem ourselves

Rishi said...

Oh wow! amazing article! I have never even thought about that! haha!
children are just amazing at times huh? :)